By the way, you need to rename it as mine downloaded with a .txt extension. Just call it whatever.mov and it works.
-------------------------
Made interesting reading though.
24 are up.
<font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ January 07, 2005 08:18 AM: Message edited by: Generic Skinhead ]</font>
By the way, you need to rename it as mine downloaded with a .txt extension. Just call it whatever.mov and it works.
-------------------------
Made interesting reading though.
Thanks for the tip, i was wondering why that happened.
I was just going to say I couldn't get it to work - but tried the little renaming trick and now it's fine. I'll watch it over the next couple of days.
Should be fixed now.
Seems pretty well made, certainly above par for this place!
;-)
Now let me air my opinion which is esentially coloured by my comprehension of what I saw and how I interpreted it. A bit like one may comment on a piece of art (chance!)
THE GOOD
Production values. It's obvious an effort has been put into it. The acting didn't stand out, but that's probably a good thing.
Soundtrack. I liked it, though the fridge was annoying.
THE BAD
I don't think there's anything particularly bad about it, but I do feel it was too long. The same story could have been told in less than five minutes IMO.
THE UGLY
I just didn't understand the payoff. I didn't understand what I was seeing in the last twenty seconds, or why.
ECU is the modern version of zooming IMO. It's just so often not necessary. I would much rather have seen some effort put into choreographing the camera around those sequences.
I guess what I'm saying overall is that I didn't like the story. It didn't grip me, and ultimately I don't get the "twist". Perhaps I'm just dumb. But dumb movies for dumb people are great for the bottom line :-)
Miker,
Sorry you didn't enjoy it, that the story didn't grab you. I'd much rather you'd seen it on dvd or the big screen because I think it looks miles better, super 16 into a crappy quicktime breaks your heart. Then again that wouldnt really change your criticisms...
I could sit here and explain it to you, but thats a bit pointless.
Its unquestionably the most negative review I've ever gotten but I would like to thank you for being honest. I don't agree about ECUs or the running time myself, I think its quite a fast moving piece...
Haha I won't get too defensive!
Anybody else wanna bring it?
<font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ January 06, 2005 11:28 AM: Message edited by: Generic Skinhead ]</font>
hi there
Ill add my sixpence....
unfortunatley I had to watch this with the sound down, but anyway - bear that in mind.
There wasnt much talking anyway, and I think I followed as much story as there was (only two lines spoken? and one was "no" ???) Anyway thats a GOOD THING. So the visuals and editing were good enough to tell the/a story alone....
I wanted to know what the hell was going on! - so it dragged me in...
Really stylish, and really nice photography and lighting.
Posed loads of questions at the beginning so I watched it all. The acting seemed fine to me.
But I felt let down too by the ending....I think I got it, but it didnt seem to make sense. Too many questions unanswered....dream?
Why was the tap on the telly?
Che Guevara....?
Wake up and smell the coffee?
Dont want to say much more without giving it away to anyone who hasnt seen it....
But for what its worth I thought it was pretty nicely done, whatever it was, even if it was a let down in the end. (am I dumb too?)
Ill listen to it with the volume up next time and make a proper critique....I think it deserves a couple of viewings anyway....certainly one with volume
[img]eek.gif[/img]
<font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ January 06, 2005 11:41 AM: Message edited by: eidde ]</font>
- Techincally,Very well done!!-
and I love that you went black and white-
It reminded me of a twisted pleasentville..
anywho..
The story,was not what I was expecting-
I started out feeling that your lead had a touch of Paranormal phobia with a slab of OCD on the side, Then It dawned on me - the leaky foucet is responsible, Mine has driven me to the point of murder on several ocasions-Anyway...
In a fun way the connections worked for me
Damper:
I too thought it was a tad to long,but what do I know -my first student entry was 9mins- It was a total snoozefest, Boring! So I could still be tramatized.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">You have nothing to be sorry for. I can appreciate the work and effort even if I don't fully understand it.Originally posted by Generic Skinhead:
Miker,
Sorry you didn't enjoy it, that the story didn't grab you. I'd much rather you'd seen it on dvd or the big screen because I think it looks miles better, super 16 into a crappy quicktime breaks your heart. Then again that wouldnt really change your criticisms...
I could sit here and explain it to you, but thats a bit pointless.
Its unquestionably the most negative review I've ever gotten but I would like to thank you for being honest. I don't agree about ECUs or the running time myself, I think its quite a fast moving piece...
Haha I won't get too defensive!
Anybody else wanna bring it?
<font color="#a62a2a"><font size="1">[ January 06, 2005 11:28 AM: Message edited by: Generic Skinhead ]</font></font>
I know explaining a short can be like explaining the punchline for a joke, but I think in cinema there is a fine line between subtlety and over-obvious. Sometimes you just have to tell the audience what's going on (within the film that is).
Once a few more people have seen it perhaps we all can discuss it further without fear of spoilers :-)
Bookmarks